How to Create and add a signature to messages
Applicable to Outlook for Office 365 Outlook 2019 Outlook 2016 Outlook 2013 Outlook 2010 Outlook 2007
You can create one or more unique signatures for your email messages in Outlook. You can include text, graphics, a logo, your electronic business card, or even a screenshot of your handwritten signature in your signature. Outlook can be configured to automatically add signatures to all outgoing messages, or you can create your own signature and add it to messages as needed.
Create your signature and choose when Outlook adds a signature to your messages
Important: You must set up a signature in both products if you use Outlook and Outlook on the web or Outlook on the web for business and have a Microsoft Office 365 account. In order to make and utilise email signatures in Outlook online, see Create and add an email signature in Outlook.com or Outlook on the web.
If you want to see how it’s done, go directly to the video below.
- Open a new email message.
- On the Message menu, select Signature > Signatures.
The location of the Message menu and the Signature button may differ depending on the size of your Outlook window and whether you’re writing a new email message, a reply, or a forward.
- Under Select signature to edit, choose New, and in the New Signature dialog box, type a name for the signature.
- Create your signature under Edit signature. You can alter the text alignment as well as the fonts’ sizes, colours, and styles. Use Word to format your text for a more robust signature with bullets, tables, or borders, then copy and paste the text into the Edit signature box. You can also use one of our pre-made signature templates. The templates can be downloaded in Word, personalised with your specific information, and then copied and pasted into the Edit signature box. Notes:
- Using the mini formatting bar under Edit signature, you can add links and images, alter the fonts and colours, and justify the text in your email signature.
- You can also edit one of our pre-designed templates or add social media icons and links to your signature. See Create a signature from a template for more details.
- To add images to your signature, see Add a logo or image to your signature.
- Under Choose default signature, set the following options for your signature:
In the E-mail account drop-down box, choose an email account to associate with the signature. You can have different signatures for each email account.
Select an email account to link with the signature from the E-mail account drop-down menu. Each email account’s signature can be different. Choose one of your signatures from the New messages drop-down box if you want your signature to be added by default to all new messages. Choose this option if you want new messages to not have a signature added automatically (none). Any replies or forwarded messages won’t have a signature added as a result of this. Select one of your signatures from the Replies/forwards drop-down if you want your signature to appear in the messages you reply to and forward. Alternatively, select the default option of none.
- Return to your message after selecting OK to save your updated signature. Even if you selected to apply the signature to all new messages, Outlook doesn’t add your new signature to the message you opened in Step 1. For this particular message, the signature must be manually added. The signature will be automatically added to all upcoming messages. Select Signature from the Message menu, then choose the newly created signature to manually add it.
Add a logo or image to your signature
If you have a company logo or an image to add to your signature, use the following steps.
- Open a new message and then select Signature > Signatures.
- In the Select signature to edit box, choose the signature you want to add a logo or image to.
- Select the Image icon , locate your image file, and select Insert.
- Right-click the image and select Picture to resize it. Use the options on the Size tab to change the size of your image. Keep the Lock aspect ratio checkbox selected to maintain the image proportions.
- When you’re done, select OK, then select OK again to save the changes to your signature.
Insert a signature manually
You can still manually add a signature if you don’t want to automatically add one for all new messages, replies, and forwards.
- In your email message, on the Message tab, select Signature.
- Choose your signature from the fly-out menu that appears. If you have more than one signature, you can select any of the signatures you’ve created.
Also Check: How does a person grow taller